Depending on the topic or theme being addressed, there are a number of local, regional, national and international water-related conferences and activities in which the IISWR will likely be involved. The specific conferences and activities in which the IISWR will be involved will continually change, depending on the topic or theme being addressed, and will be updated on the IISWR website. The relevant conferences for the foreseeable future include the following:
- United Nations Environment Assembly, Nairobi, Kenya; March 2019 (Theme: Innovative solutions covering policies, financing, technologies, partnerships and multi-stakeholder processes);
- 18th World Lake Conference, Guanajuato, Mexico, November 2020 (Theme: Multidisciplinarity and Social Involvement for the Sustainability of Lakes);
- 9th World Water Forum, Dakar, Senegal, early-2021 (Theme: Water Security for Peace and Development);
- Mexican River Basin Conference; Mexico City, 2019 (Anticipated theme: Integrated Water Resource Management);
- 39th North American Lake Management Society (NALMS) International Symposium; Burlington, Vermont, November, 2019 (Theme: Watershed Moments: Harnessing Data, Science, and Local Knowledge to Protect Lakes);
- Society of Wetland Scientists (SWS) Annual Meeting; Baltimore, Maryland, May, 2019 (Theme: The Role of Wetlands in Meeting Global Environmental Challenges: Linking Wetlands Science, Policy and Society);
- 35th International Society of Limnology (SIL) Conference (location, date and theme to be determined).